Saturday, September 1, 2012

Day 1 : Harpy



30 Day Challenge : Girl Character 

Day 1 : Harpy


The biggest thing for me is to "not over think" a drawing. My head says "this isn't perfect" and my hand says "get it down already!!" Always a little conflict of interest during the process.

When looking into the background of a Harpy online, I stumbled upon a story on the endangered Harpy Eagle in Panama. Since I grew up in the states, I felt a disconnect with Panama which makes up half my heritage. I attempted to incorporate some characteristics of the eagle into the character.

The taped lips was something that was a play on "harpy" as an adjective as well as to mimic the current feeling with the political atmosphere. (You know about the whole stripping away the rights of women BS, right?) The atmosphere has cracks and we are doing our best to hold it together....

Politics and art is something that I feel I cannot combine consciously.

This drawing challenge isn't about making a perfect drawing. It is about the discipline to commit to drawing on a regular basis.

Stop thinking about drawing, then draw.  









No comments:

Post a Comment